"What a great moment for me, my son, the world. What you have made possible for so many people defies all reason." LOWELL WEICKER, JR.
Former United States Senator
EKS Key Contributions:
- Establishment of the President Kennedy Committee on Mental Retardation in 1961,
- The development of the National Institute for Child Health and Human Development in 1962,
- The establishment of a network of university-affiliated facilities and mental retardation research centers at major medical schools across the United States in 1967,
- The establishment of Special Olympics in 1968,
- The creation of major centers for the study of medical ethics at Harvard and Georgetown Universities in 1971,
- The creation of the "Community of Caring" concept for the reduction of intellectual disabilities among babies of teenagers in 1981
- The institution of 16 "Community of Caring" Model Centers in 1982
- The establishment of "Community of Caring" programs in 1200 public and private schools from 1990-2006.